Legal Representation for Same-Sex Couples
Laws and public norms are often established on notions of "traditional families." Antiquated statutes may assume that a family can only include a mother, father and children. Luckily, times are changing. At Walling, Berg & Debele, P.A., we understand that gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) couples deserve the same legal services as heterosexual couples.
We are a private practice family law firm that represents the rights and interests of both heterosexual and same-sex couples. Contact us today for experienced, quality representation for all your family law concerns.
There are important life decisions that everyone, regardless of sexual orientation, need to make regarding family, illness and death. Providing comprehensive legal counsel to same-sex couples involves protecting their rights in decisions involving:
- Children: Our lawyers help gay and lesbian couples meet the legal requirements to grow their family through adoption or surrogacy.
- Estate planning: A proper estate plan can help ensure that your domestic partner will receive your assets after your death, and can appoint your partner as your healthcare power of attorney, giving him or her the ability to make important decisions in the event of your incapacity.
- Domestic abuse: If a restraining order against your domestic partner is needed to protect you from physical or emotional abuse, we can help.
- Parenting time and custody: Similarly to heterosexual couples, same-sex couples with children must address custody and visitation issues in the event their relationship ends. We have the skill and compassion necessary to help negotiate parenting agreements that meet the needs of parents and still keep the best interests of the children at heart.
- Cohabitation agreements: These agreements help address issues of asset division, income, and other liabilities for unmarried couples in the event of a breakup.
Contact our Committed and Experienced Family Law Attorneys
Walling, Berg & Debele is committed to asserting the rights of individuals and couples, regardless of sexual orientation. If you or a loved one need legal counsel or representation in a family law matter, please contact us s today to schedule an initial consultation.