Minneapolis Divorce lawyer
St. Paul Legal Separation attorney
The dissolution of a marriage requires an understanding of the family relationships and financial intricacies that are a vital part of the marital relationship. Clients seeking divorce often need counsel regarding these complex issues. These same clients need a strong legal advocate at the negotiation table and in the courtroom when necessary.
Specifics of Minnesota Divorce
Minnesota is a no-fault divorce state. Parties do not have to prove that the other was adulterous, abusive or acted to cause the breakdown of the relationship. A couple does not have to prove one party was at fault or did something that has caused the breakdown of the relationship. However, there are decisions that need to be made regarding various aspects of divorce:
- Division of assets and debts: The assets may include real property such as houses, vacation cabins and land, household items like furniture, retirement and bank accounts, closely-held businesses, and other personal property including jewelry, antiques and vehicles (including autos, boats and motorcycles). Debts may include mortgages, loans, and credit cards. The assets and debts need to be valued and divided in a manner that is fair and equitable to both parties.
- Spousal maintenance (alimony): Decisions need to be made regarding spousal maintenance and other financial assistance, especially when one spouse may not have worked outside the home during the marriage and is not in a position to be immediately self-supporting.
- Custody and parenting time: An important determination following a divorce or separation is custody of the children. Almost as important is the establishment of a visitation scheduled that meets the needs of both parents and serves the best interests of the children.
- Child Support
Our firm also assists with other important matters surrounding divorce, dissolution of marriage and legal separation, including:
- Providing health insurance coverage for the children
- Making decisions about the children's education, including addressing issues of funding higher education
- Religious upbringing
- Business ownership
- Mental health concerns, particularly if a parent's mental illness will affect their ability to parent
- Prior domestic abuse
- Chemical dependency concerns, again, particularly when they will impact the ability to care for the children
To see a sampling of our successful results in marriage dissolution cases, please visit this page.
Contact a Divorce Lawyer Today
If you need legal representation in a divorce, contact the lawyers at Walling, Berg & Debele, in Minneapolis, Minnesota. We are committed to protecting your interests in negotiations and in court.
Walling Berg & Debele is committed to providing all resources available to our clients. Our High Conflict Resolution Resources Center provides information and resources specific to the needs of families struggling with divorce, custody issues, parenting time, responsibility issues, child development and mental health concerns.